Top reasons to use Hummingbird robotics kits.
- Fun and educational for 4th graders and high school students alike.
- Switch between tethered and standalone modes.
- Integrates with Arduino shields and many third part electronics.
- Program with the Hummingbird story-borad software, Scratch, Arduino and more. Click here for a full list.
- Dozens of tutorial and classroom examples available. Click here for a full list.
A little background on Hummingbird robotics kits.The Hummingbird Robotics Kit is a spin-off product of Carnegie Mellon's CREATE lab. Hummingbird is designed to enable engineering and robotics activities for ages 13 and up (8 with adult supervision) that involve the making of robots, kinetic sculptures, and animatronics built out of a combination of kit parts and crafting materials.
Combined with very easy-to-use software environments like Scratch, Snap!, the CREATE Lab Visual Programmer, and Ardublock, Hummingbird provides a great way to introduce kids to robotics and engineering with construction materials that they are already familiar with. At the same time, Hummingbird continues to provide new challenges by allowing programming in the Arduino environment, Python, Java, and Processing, and by supporting Raspberry Pi.
What's in the Hummingbird Robotics Kit - Duo Class Kit?
This kit contains all the electronics you need for a class + curriculum, glossary, USB flash bands, and other helpful tools and materials! Just add 8-12 students and craft materials and watch the robots fly! Contains:
- Four Hummingbird Duo controllers
- Power supply, USB cable, terminal tool, snap-in stand-offs for each controller
- Three each of red, orange, yellow, and green single-color LEDs
- Eight tri-color LEDs
- Ten hobby servos and six servo extension cables
- Four gear motors with wheels and plastic block adapters
- Four vibration motors
- Four each of light and temperature sensors
- Two each of distance, sound, and rotary sensors
- Packaged in reusable plastic tray organizer
- Program in everything from Scratch to Java!